Explore the latest design trends and discoveries with me as we delve into the vibrant world of market—an exciting opportunity for designers to immerse themselves in the showrooms of countless manufacturers, all within the span of a few exhilarating days. Designers can browse new releases, core staples, and evolving trends. For enthusiasts like me, who revel in the tactile experience of seeing items in person, the market is an absolute delight.
As I reflect on this year's market, six noteworthy trends have captured my attention. Feel free to embrace what resonates with you, discarding anything that doesn't align with your unique style. After all, as the iconic Billy Baldwin once said, "Be faithful to your own taste because nothing you really like is ever out of style."
1. The first thing I am excited to report is the incredible evolution of LED lighting. As a designer who was forced to use LED lighting in California while it was still tinted like skim milk, I am thrilled to see beautiful sculptural pieces casting a warm, flattering glow.
2. Next, COLOR! Color has come back strong in the way of deep, luxurious tones seen in the form of sumptuous velvet, art, and wallcoverings. Leaving the scene at last, the reigning neutral, gray has been dethroned by warm tobacco brown.
3. The third highlight I am reporting is the 3 legged chair. This playful silhouette turned up in countless showrooms and even more colors. It is seen in accent chairs and dining chairs alike. I love that it is interesting from all angles.
4. On to wood. Anything from a mirror to a dresser becomes a statement piece when it is made of burl wood. It projects elegance, interest and is extremely versatile.
5. Our next market highlight is a way of life...it's the cuddle factor. There were more soft textiles than ever at this year's event, ranging from boucle to full-blown faux fur and found largely on seating, even for outdoors!
6. Finally, prints. In wallcovering and fabrics, the bigger, the bolder, the better. Jewel tones make a resounding presence, adding a touch of opulence and personality.
In the ever-changing world of design, let your own unique style be your guide your choices.